Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Journey to Africa and Beyond Part 2

Part 1

Once I regained my composure and the meeting was over, I followed my Pastor to his office.) I don't know why, but it always felt like going to the principal's office.)

We talked about what was involved in being Missions President. It sounded exciting but terrifying all at the same time. There was already a good team of people involved so it was basically some facilitating of meetings, educating the congregation and getting them excited about the world, and raising a boat-load of money.

After much prayer and discussion with the exiting president, I decided I would accept the challenge. There were several logistical tasks I had to complete, but after a while I was thrust into a side of the church that I was not prepared to handle, but that's a completely different story for another time.

One of the projects that was already in process was a mission trip to Nairobi, Kenya. The first time I heard about it, something inside me said "I'm going". Had an awesome friend working with another church to plan the trip. I couldn't have done it without her.

As the details of the trip were coming together and we started fund raising efforts. Each person was responsible for raising money for their own portion (around $2000 each), but the church needed to provide $5000 to go toward the project in Africa.

When we started fund raising (which actually turned out to be a lot of fun), I had been reading 2 Samuel. At the very end in chapter 24, David goes to buy the threshing floor so he can present and offering to the Lord. Araunah tried to give it to David, along with everything he needed for the sacrifice. But David did something amazing. He said he wouldn't sacrifice anything to the Lord that cost him nothing. He refused the gift because he knew that it isn't really a sacrifice if it doesn't cost you something.

God really spoke to me as I read that. I really felt he was telling me I needed to pay for my trip on my own. I thought that was a crazy idea. I even tried to change it by telling God I was sacrificing my time to go, so it was OK to raise the money. But you know God, he was persistent. Finally, I said something like "OK, God. I know you want me to do this and I don't know how I'm going to pay for it, but I'm going to trust you." We had our first payment due that week - I think it was $500. As I was writing the check I heard that still small voice again... "Pay the full amount".

WHAT?!?!

Was He kidding?

to be continued...   Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment