Sunday, November 9, 2008

People Watching

I've been doing a little people watching lately. I don't usually do it because I think it's kind of rude to stare at other people while they go about their lives. I have a friend who is always staring at people. I know other people who try to watch people as if they are under cover... hiding behind menus in restaurants, behind friends and peeking over their shoulder.. which seems a bit like stalking, but that's just me.

Today, I was sitting at McDonald's (I know... not the best choice) and I was watching some kids play in the play area. I couldn't see them most of the time except right when they were climbing into the play structure thingy (I wasn't actually in the room, just could see this through the window). It occurred to me how transparent kids are with their emotions. When they are sad, they cry, when they are made, they pout and stomp around. When they are annoyed, they roll their eyes.

At one point, all of the kids (maybe about 8 of them) were running toward the entrance at the same time and the littlest one was trampled. She was flat on her face. She started to get up and go in, but at the last second, started crying (I can relate to that delayed response). She ran to her dad, who knelt down and spoke to her, then kissed her hand. At that moment, she was fine - turned around and went right back to playing. How cool was that? All the parents were laughing at how quickly she bounced back.

It occurred to me that she had the utmost faith in her father to make her better - to feel better and to no longer hurt. As soon as the pain set in, she knew exactly where she needed to go to get help. One touch of the father's hand and her strength was renewed - she could go on. She may have a bruise, a cut or a scrape, but she was willing to return to the task at hand as soon as she felt his touch.

It makes me ask the question - do I run to my Father when I need help? Do I know where healing comes from? Or do I try it on my own and go to other people for comfort and strength, only running to Him as a last resort? I fall somewhere in the middle. Sometimes, I know right where to run and He is always faithful. Other times, I run around a while, then go to Him. And again, He is so faithful. Always.

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment