Sunday, November 16, 2008

Saying goodbye to Bunny

One of my co-worker's mother in law died on Thursday. I just got back from the funeral home. I went to offer my condolences to her and her family. I didn't know her mother in law, but there were a lot of people who did. The place was packed. I learned a little bit about her.

Her name was Bernadine, but everyone called her Bunny. She worked since high school at various shops selling jewelry, and touched the lives of many people. I noticed that almost everyone there was happy. Mostly because she was ill for a long time and in a lot of pain. Many said she's much better off now that she has passed on. I never know how to respond to that.

I want to agree with them and tell them that she is in heaven with Jesus. But what if she didn't know Him? Do you say what they want to hear so they can cope with their loss? I couldn't say what I was thinking, which was "I hope so", or "Are you sure?" I don't know if she knew Jesus. I don't know if she met Him years ago or if she met Him in the last moments or days of her life. It's not my place to know, but I still never know what to say.

One thing is certain - I pray that I touch many lives, like Bunny did, not because I sold them jewelry, but because God loved them through me; that they would see that I lived for different treasures than what this world offers. And when I die and people say I'm in a better place, it will be true. I'll be seeing colors I've never seen, I'll be hearing sounds I've never heard, and I'll be feeling love like I've never felt before.

No comments:

Post a Comment