Saturday, December 13, 2008

Grammar Lesson

Do you remember learning about misplaced modifiers and prepositional phrases? You know, when you say something like:
I went to the store with my sister on Main Street.
This implies that my sister is on Main Street or that I'm talking about my sister on Main Street as opposed to my sister on Park Avenue. What I really wanted to say was:
My sister and I went to the store on Main Street.
Get it?

I've been asking the wrong question lately. For a really long time I've been asking God:
Send me someone to love.
I've really been expecting an answer to that question. At times, I've even fabricated my own answers. Adopt a child. Take in a pregnant teenager or a homeless single mom. Others. Not that any of them would be wrong or bad, or that I won't do one or more at some point in the future.

Truth be told, I'm trying to fill a void that only God can fill. I could love a child as my own and it would be wonderful. I could help out someone in need and see fruit from that. But until I remember to always love God most, I will still be empty. As I learn to rely more and more on God's love to comfort and fill me and fulfill me, I realize I've been asking the wrong question.

Can you imagine the "great commandment": Therefore wait for someone to come and make them a disciple, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

My new question:
Send me to love someone.
What are you asking?

No comments:

Post a Comment