Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Irresistible Revolution

I'm reading "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. It's pretty much turning me inside out. Here are a few quotes that have my mind swimming, and I'm only half way through:

Sometimes we speak to change the world; other times we speak to keep the world from changing us.

We try to make the world safe, knowing that the world will never be safe as long as millions live in poverty so the few can live as they wish.

We give people fish. We teach them to fish. We tear down the walls that have been built up around the fish pond. And we figure out who polluted it.

The people who have changed the world have always been the risk-takers who climb through windows while the rest of the world just walks in and out of doors.

There are plenty of people who are miserable in their jobs, for they have not listened to God's call. And I would add there are many Christians who are not fulfilled in their spiritual lives because they have no sense of their gifts or purpose, and they just run to the mission field to save souls rather than transform lives and communities using their gifts and those of the people they live among. Both lead to emptiness and burnout.

We've got to unite ourselves as one body. Because Jesus is coming back, and he's coming back for a bride, not a harem.

It's like in community when the toilet floods, which happens when you have a dozen people sharing one toilet. When it starts to pour out water, you don't just start cleaning up the mess. You also have to shut off the water that is causing the flood. That's the sort of thing that requires working together and the humility of admitting that we can do together what we cannot do alone.

I don't agree with everything he says, but wow, am I being challenged!

1 comment:

  1. wow, that sounds like a great book...I LOOOOOVE the part about people being miserable in their jobs...that, alone, makes me want to read this book.

    I'm going to look into finding this! Thanks for the book inspiration...I love to read!

    ReplyDelete