Friday, March 27, 2009

Again I Say Rejoice!

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Philippians 4:4


Just finished listening to Francis Chan's most recent message, Living With Joy. Once again, he kicked me in the head.

He pointed out that Philippians 4:4 is a command. And because it's a command, it makes it a sin not to do it.

Ouch.

I've never looked at it that way. Notice that it says always. I'm no Bible scholar, but I think that means always, all the time, without ceasing, in all circumstances, in everything you do, in everything that is done to you, in good times, in bad times, while celebrating, while mourning, always.

I don't do that. I rejoice when I remember I should. Or when I read Philippians 4. Or when things are going really good. I have to remind myself often that rejoicing has nothing to do with how I feel or my circumstances. I know that. I just don't put it into practice. I'm not sure I know how.

As I fall on my face once again before my God, I am reminded of His loving mercy, that's new every morning. As he picks me up and wipes my tears, I know I can truly rejoice in Him. Another reminder that this life I lead is not about me. It never was. It never will be.

2 comments:

  1. You are not alone in this. I have been forgetting to rejoice a lot lately. My rejoicing has been buried under the clouds. This is so well said, Karen. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete