Thursday, September 24, 2009

Insanity

While there is some debate on who to attribute this quote to originally, I think it describes this video perfectly:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
This was my 3rd summer in my house. This bird, or one of it's relatives, has been around every year. Every morning from spring to late summer, I wake up to BANG, BANG, BANG as he attempts to fly in to the reflection in the window. At first, I felt really bad for the little guy. He just didn't get that no matter how many times he flies into the window, he's not going to get through it. Then, well, it just became entertainment.



How often in my own life am I just like that bird? I know what I want to do... I look through the window and for a brief moment I see a reflection of God and I run right into the window trying to get to him. Unfortunately, we cannot become more like God by running to a reflection of him. Only when we run directly toward him can we even get a glimpse of what it will be like to see him in all his glory.

We tend to make things more difficult than they need to be. We keep trying the same methods and make the same decisions over and over again, of course getting the same results. Sometimes, we have to realize it's just a matter of turning around and flying in the right direction.

What patterns do you have in your life that you need to break in order to really fly into God's plan for your life?

On another note, how do I help the poor guy? Do those decal things work?

2 comments:

  1. We've had pretty reasonable luck with decals ... though our birds aren't as persistent as yours. We tend just to put up decorative decals (butterflies, leaves, snowflakes, whatever the season suggests) ... but if the bird is persistent, you might get one of the hawk shadow decals to scare them off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that video could be me this week maybe a few weeks...

    i've been trying to get straightened out - but i've been trying instead of letting go and letting God...

    thanks for the great reminder that i need to go the other way... not my way...

    ReplyDelete