Monday, May 14, 2012

Fruit of the Spirit: Love

{Love. Who came up with the idea to put love first? I mean, where do I start? When I think about love, I either sit here, staring off into space thinking, "uhhhhhh, ummmmm, uhhhhh, yeah". Or, my mind reels with a gazillion thoughts that never really form into anything. I've written about love before. Do I really have to again? I mean, you get it, right?

Sigh.

Okay.

I'll do it.}

(please excuse the previous conversation that occurred out loud in my head. it wasn't meant to be shared, but sometimes, that just happens)

On to the real blog now.

In case you haven't stopped by in a while (and why would you, unless you like watching paint dry), this is the first in a blog series on the fruit of the spirit. I have some friends coming along to share their thoughts on the fruit, too. More about them later. If you're bored here and want to know more, they are all linked on the side bar, and some of them are on top of it and have already posted.

Today as I was driving to work, I was thinking about this word love and how poorly I've been doing it lately.  On the outside I can go through the motions with the best of 'em. But on the inside, I'm doing what's right. It's not what comes naturally. Not yet anyway.  I want to have that instant "what can I do to love this person more" reaction in every situation. Don't you? Maybe you already do that, but I think we can all fall short sometimes, so don't think I'm beating myself up here.

Jesus loved in every moment. I want to be like Him. He got it right. I mean, when one of your names is Love, how can you not just automatically bleed love?

Where does that leave me? My name isn't Love.

But Love is in me. He has placed His love in me so I can let it flow out of me. This reminds me of a thought I had recently. God doesn't give us anything we're to keep for ourselves. He gives it to us so we can give it, share it, explain it, express it, nurture it and let it go, learn from it.

I am not Love, like He is. But I am His beloved. Cherished. Loved. His love in me is not just for me. It is in me so I can give it, share it, explain it, express it, nurture it and let it go, and learn from it.  I'm still learning.

I have a feeling there will be more on this subject this week. Stay tuned.  In the mean time, check out these blogs from earlier today:  there is beauty in letting go, a joyful journal, the rabbit hole chronicles

...Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!



1 comment:

  1. "I want to have that instant "what can I do to love this person more" reaction in every situation."
    me too.

    ReplyDelete