Tuesday, November 25, 2008

On Sale?

I opened my email today to find this:


In case you cant read the subject, it says: On Sale: Jesus & Santa.

OK. I realize this is an ad for a video (check it out here if you are interested), but it really made me think.

I think about how we (people) have turned Jesus, the Creator of the universe, the King of kings, the Lord of lords, the Savior of the world into a commodity.

I think about how we use Him like children sending their wish list to Santa to get what we want and then don't think about Him again until next year or the next crisis or the next desire.

Jesus didn't come to grant our every wish, or to make us happy or to fulfill some desire in our hearts. He came because the Father loves us. He came because the reason for our existence has nothing to do with us at all, but has everything to do with the Father. We were created for HIS glory, not our happiness or comfort. We were created to worship Him.

Besides all that, since when is Jesus for sale? We have to stop trying to get people to buy into the idea of Jesus. For some people, hearing the Gospel message of grace, hope and love is enough. But for most, especially in America, people need to see the Gospel lived out in front of them.

Anyway, that's some of what went off in my head when I read that subject line.

No comments:

Post a Comment