Friday, December 2, 2011

Merry Holidays

I saw this billboard the other day. After doing a little search, it's not a new billboard but I had never seen this particular one.

At first, I was like, hey - cool billboard. But then those thoughts started running around in my head. Questions like...

Does Jesus really care how I greet people this time of year? Yes! Isn't he more concerned about how I treat people? Yes! Do the words "Merry Christmas" appear in the Bible... anywhere? No! 

I understand that it's important to keep Christ at the center of our celebrations this season, but shouldn't Christ be in the midst of everything we do, every day of the year?

I find it interesting the number of people I have heard or seen on Facebook who are complaining and sometimes even swearing because they have to say Happy Holidays at their workplace (though retail stores that have adapted this are often playing Christmas music and selling Christmas items, so I find it a little funny, but that's another post for another time). If we really are concerned about keeping Christ in the midst of the season, shouldn't we be responding in love? I think we can keep Christ in Christmas by reflecting His heart, mirroring His attitude, showing His love, and obeying His commands.

Rather than fighting to keep the words Merry Christmas, maybe we should be spending time in the Word aligning our hearts with His. For a lot of people, this time of year is very busy and quiet time with God can get easily pushed aside. Maybe what that billboard should say is, "I miss hearing you." ~Jesus

He wants to hear from us. He wants us to hear His voice. We can't do that if we're so busy trying to say Merry Christmas louder and louder until it drowns out the rest of the greetings. So slow down a little bit. Spend some time reflecting on His miraculous birth, but don't stop there. Remember why He came. Pray - He wants to hear from you today. And every day.

Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment