Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Reason for the Season

Jesus. He's the reason we celebrate. Or, at least that's what we say, sometimes to make ourselves feel better. I can say that because I've done it. 

I've been observing a lot of people lately. (No, I'm not a stalker, just and observer. Hmm... I'm really not sure what the difference is, other than maybe the intent behind it. My intent is to learn, not to invade, so I think I'm OK.) Some are people I know and others are strangers in the store or in the post office or at the mall. I wonder as I watch them if they really get it. They throw the Jesus is the Reason in the middle of a conversation about stress, anxiety, not enough time, not enough money, stress, resentment, anger, stress. You get the idea. 
So I want to ask them...
    Is Jesus the reason for the season when you are going in to debt buying gifts you can't afford?
    Is Jesus the reason for the season while you stay up all night worrying about Aunt Belinda and whether or not she's going to like the sweater you bought her of if she'll know you bought it on sale?
    Is Jesus the reason for the season when you have to buy the latest gadget for your kids because everyone else has one?
    Is Jesus the reason for the season when you get depressed about spending another Christmas alone?
    Is Jesus the reason for the season when are yelling at the checkout person at Walmart because they don't have the DVD you want?
    Is Jesus the reason for the season when you're screaming at your kids because they have hit that last nerve?
    Is Jesus the reason for the season while you are resenting the fact that no one is helping you decorate the house so it looks just perfect for your guests?
    Is Jesus the reason for the season when you are too busy to slow down and worship Him? 
Don't get me wrong here. There's nothing wrong with buying gifts (and getting a good deal), decorating, celebrating with family and friends. After all, we are called to be givers and we have been given so much. I just think we tend to separate the two too often. We should be allowing Jesus into those parts of our lives that stress us out so much during this season, and let Him guide us to the perfect gift... Himself. Then, everything else will just work out the way it works out and it will be OK.

What is your real reason for the season? And don't answer with words, answer with your actions. But don't tell me, tell Him. Tell Him that He's more important than all that other stuff, run after him instead of the greatest sale. And after you tell Him, show Him. It's not too late to simplify this Christmas.

Love came down. Take a minute to wrap your head around that and then respond. 

If you have a minute, check out this great post from my beautiful and favorite niece, Ali. She gets it and inspires me to love better.

No comments:

Post a Comment