Saturday, December 24, 2011

Only with God: Angels




An angel appeared to Mary.
An angel appeared to Joseph.
An angel appeared to shepherds.
And again to Joseph.
Each time, "don't be afraid" were among the first words spoken. 
"Give glory to God in heaven, and on earth let there be peace among the people who please God." Luke 2:14

Sometimes you can read a passage a hundred times and miss something all together. I don't know if I've read the Christmas story a hundred times, but I've heard and read it a lot. And guess what? I still don't completely get it. Seems every year something new jumps off the page, keeping the Word of God alive. Have you read it lately? Go ahead. Read it. I'll wait here for you. 

What struck me today as I read of the encounter between the angel, the heavenly host (or as some translations say, an angelic choir, many other angels, the armies of heaven) and the shepherds. Peace on earth for those who please God. I realize not every translation reads that way, but what a great reminder of how we should live. Want peace? Live your life to please him. How do we do that? 

Only with God...

1 comment:

  1. Love it.

    I agree... you can read and read and still find something new later on.

    ReplyDelete