Sunday, May 20, 2012

Special Guest Blog: Love Like That

And another special guest arrives. I've also known this woman my whole life. She's also taught me a lot about love. Meet my sister, Margie. If you know her, you're already exited to read on. If you don't, you will know a lot about her just by reading these thoughts. I'm honored to have her a part of this series. You'll definitely be seeing more from her in the coming weeks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
i was invited to join in on a "fruit of the spirit" blog series by an amazing woman, my sister. i am joining some inspirational bloggers.
so this is my freshman attempt at blogging, without a blog. after attempting this on my iphone, i’m borrowing karen's cute little net book she bought for romania. thanks karen!
i am not a scholar, just a student of His love. i want to know His heart. what you are reading, should you choose to, are my... ramblings, ponderings, questions, and personal/biblical discoveries (that is, until someone smarter, or a life-experience, shows me a new view)

Love Like That       ...love love love, bah ba da da da
what can i do to make God love me more?
could i do something (or not do something) that would cause Him to love me less?

i realize that you most likely know this, but do we really live in this truth? the truth that we cannot do one thing to make God love us more, and nothing we do would cause Him to love us less. i am still amazed by this truth. (this, of course, is no excuse for intentional sin)
and what about the way we treat each other? are we loving one another the way God loves us? is it even possible? does He really require that of us as His children? i mean, how can i deny someone grace & love when i received it straight from the heart of God?
Jesus says, "what good is it if you love those that are easy to love...the lovable? even the unsaved do that. great is your reward if you choose to love the unlovable!"(ok, that's my paraphrase of matthew 5)
vs.43-48 You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
did you catch that be perfect stuff? RED LETTERS! Jesus said not only that we CAN be perfect, but says to BE perfect! He also says "be holy"
i really like eugene peterson's paraphrase on how to love...
Ephesians 5:1-2 [ Wake Up from Your Sleep ] Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.
that seems pretty clear to me... and there is more. every time i read the WORD i learn more about God's extravagant love. if we are to learn a life of love then put it into practice, and if God is the one who tells us to do that, then surely he will equip us! i know that i am not capable on my own, in my own strength, but Holy Spirit in me is more than enough to do it through me!
the truths are endless... 1cor 13, john 3:16, all of Ephesians, the cross, the resurrection, song of solomon, love your neighbor, the golden rule, Jesus came to serve as an example for us, jesus poured his love out on me so i better pour it out on others...
i've been doing a self-check... are there people i hide from when i'm shopping at walmart? do i smile at the cashier, the person on the gas pump opposite me, the person holding up my check-out lane, new people at church? the folks i don't "approve" of? the person who hurt me deeply? the lost and broken? the angry, the hurting? do i ever speak to my neighbor?
i want to Love like that. do you? can we? God says we can.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don't forget to check out the other bloggers in the series:

No comments:

Post a Comment